[clue-tech] Permission settings lost at reboot

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Oct 8 17:01:26 MDT 2005

Matt Gushee wrote:
> Hi, all--
>
> For some time now I've been having a problem with permissions:
>
> There are certain directories that I want to be able to access under my
> regular user account, for example /usr/local/src.
[...]
> So far so good. Trouble is, every time I reboot the owner/group reverts
> to root.root, with no write permission for the group.

Is /usr/local/src a mount point?  If it is, you have to change the
permissions with the filesystem mounted.  Just as /usr/local/src can
contain files that are hidden when you mount a partition on it, it can
have different permissions that are hidden by mounting.

That doesn't sound like your problem, unless perhaps you're mounting
different partitions in the same place and forgetting which one you set
the permissions on.

If this is an every reboot thing, look at your init scripts.  The Arch
initscripts package doesn't seem to have anything that changes
permissions at boot but perhaps you have a package installed that does.

Another possiblity (seen once on RH, IIRC) is a daemon or cron that
periodically checks and sets permissions on the misguided assumption
that you're smart enough to change them but not smart enough to get them
right.

If it is options to mount, that should be pretty obvious in fstab (I'm
not sure reiser supports that).  I don't know of anywhere besides fstab
(or the command line) to adjust mount options, nor of any config file
that tells a filesystem how to behave.

HTH,