[clue-tech] CentOS

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Thu Oct 27 13:29:07 MDT 2005

Bamm Visscher wrote:

>It's really simple. RedHat provides all the source rpms on its own FTP
>server [0]. CentOS takes those RPMs and (legally) builds it's own
>binary RPMs. Remember, RedHat redistributes GPL'd software and a key
>part of the GPL is the rights (lefts) it gives the user. RedHat can in
>no way restrict my right to redistribute works licensed to them/me by
>the GPL.

An interesting thing about RH is although they could legally require you
to purchase a copy before redistributing it, they don't do that.  The
GPL doesn't say you have to give things away for free.  RH has always
promoted open source, and made their software available under the GPL to
the public.  Maybe they figure they'd hurt themselves to do otherwise.