[clue-tech] Ubuntu experiences good and bad

Kevin Cullis kevincu at viawest.net
Sat Oct 29 21:55:26 MDT 2005

Collins Richey wrote:
> 1. This has got to be the simplest, most painless Linux installation
> known to mankind. I loaded it on two different machines (a P4 with
> junk onboard video and audio and an older Athlon with nvidia and
> separate sound card), and both installs were flawless. In the case of
> the older machine, I let Ubuntu take over the disk. In the case of the
> P4, I installed to new partitions on an existing system, and Ubuntu
> set up grub correctly to boot all existing systems !!!

Absolutely!!! Amen to Ubuntu!!!

> 3. The upgrade from 5.04 to 5.10 was a little rocky. The upgrade
> seemed to be aok, but when I installed mplayer and its codecs, the
> system became unusuable. I had to do some lengthy searches in the
> forums offline to find an answer. When I installed the fix, a whole
> s###pot of additional packages came on board, which makes me think the
> the original upgrade package was incomplete. Now all is well again.

As a side note, I always "fresh install" Linux when I move to a new
level. I find it saves the hassles of these known issues. On the other
hand I don't have many configuration issues to work through because I
don't customize it that much.

> 7. Learning to deal with a Debian system after many years of Caldera,
> RedHat, Mandrake, and Gentoo is a definite PITA, but I'm getting
> there.

Personally I'm tired of the "I'll make if it kills me" Linux installs.
I've trid Fedora 3 & 4, SUSE 9.2, Ubuntu 5.10, and CentOS and I much
prefer Ubuntu because of it's complete install without issues.

The one thing I don't like default is the brown, but this is minor.

HTH

Kevin