[clue-tech] Ubuntu experiences good and bad

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 08:04:09 MST 2005

On 10/29/05, Kevin Cullis <kevincu at viawest.net> wrote:
> > 3. The upgrade from 5.04 to 5.10 was a little rocky. The upgrade
> > seemed to be aok, but when I installed mplayer and its codecs, the
> > system became unusuable. I had to do some lengthy searches in the
> > forums offline to find an answer. When I installed the fix, a whole
> > s###pot of additional packages came on board, which makes me think the
> > the original upgrade package was incomplete. Now all is well again.
>
> As a side note, I always "fresh install" Linux when I move to a new
> level. I find it saves the hassles of these known issues. On the other
> hand I don't have many configuration issues to work through because I
> don't customize it that much.

That's a major turnoff for some (many) people.  It's why a lot of
folks ditched Fedora for CentOS.  Having an upgrade path that works is
apparently hard because not many distros provide it or brag about it,
but if I don't have an upgrade path that works then I want the distro
to be stable/supported for a few years.

Greg