[clue-tech] I'm blind, or why is this PHP fwrite() failing?

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 22:34:17 MDT 2005

On 9/25/05, David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:
> Collins Richey wrote:
> > On 9/25/05, David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:
> >

> >>Looking through the PHP docs reaffirms my decision to avoid learning it
> >>at all costs.
> >

> > Chicken!
> >
> > The docs aren't that bad.
>
> No, they aren't.  But the language strikes me as useless.  Take the
> first comment here:
>
> http://us2.php.net/manual/en/language.operators.logical.php
>
> "The novice php php developer should avoid creating functions which
> might produce a FALSE on failure and an integer on success, if there is
> any chance that the integer might be zero."
>
> It's no surprise to me to have multiple values for truth or untruth.
> But to be able to return a boolean or an int at will and have the int
> cast to a boolean seems to be rather more surprise than less.  Imagine
> yourself trying to debug that one--shouldn't a language help you avoid
> those kinds of mistakes?

PHP has a mechanism for sorting out such nonsense - the difference
between the == and === (yes three) operators.

> I'm no programing wizard, nor language guru.  And I understand the lure
> of being able to build web apps quick and easy.  But if they wanted a
> web app framework couldn't they have adapted an interpreter for a tried
> and true language?  And you can build web apps in Java, Perl, and Python
> (oh, and lisp too).  I don't understand what people find compelling
> about PHP--what did everyone else do wrong?

They did produce an interpreter for a tried and true language - C with
some rather logical extensions (C never heard of associative arrays,
for example). Sorry, I'm not a fan of the other languages.

I'm not trying to sell you on PHP. I just happen to like it, and the
more I get familiar with it the better I like it.

--
Collins Richey
      Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code ... If you write