[clue-tech] I'm blind, or why is this PHP fwrite() failing?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Sep 25 22:18:43 MDT 2005

Collins Richey wrote:
> On 9/25/05, David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:
>

>>Looking through the PHP docs reaffirms my decision to avoid learning it
>>at all costs.
>

> Chicken!
>
> The docs aren't that bad.

No, they aren't.  But the language strikes me as useless.  Take the
first comment here:

http://us2.php.net/manual/en/language.operators.logical.php

"The novice php php developer should avoid creating functions which
might produce a FALSE on failure and an integer on success, if there is
any chance that the integer might be zero."

It's no surprise to me to have multiple values for truth or untruth.
But to be able to return a boolean or an int at will and have the int
cast to a boolean seems to be rather more surprise than less.  Imagine
yourself trying to debug that one--shouldn't a language help you avoid
those kinds of mistakes?

I'm no programing wizard, nor language guru.  And I understand the lure
of being able to build web apps quick and easy.  But if they wanted a
web app framework couldn't they have adapted an interpreter for a tried
and true language?  And you can build web apps in Java, Perl, and Python
(oh, and lisp too).  I don't understand what people find compelling
about PHP--what did everyone else do wrong?