[clue-tech] Sound on compaq armada

Matt Gushee matt at gushee.net
Tue Sep 27 11:37:39 MDT 2005

Angelo Bertolli wrote:

> The sound works fine on my compaq armada laptop under Debian, however on
> reboot the system does not remember the old sound settings/volumes.

There are a couple of possibilities. First of all, if you use ALSA, by
default it sets the volume to zero whenever you reboot. So you would
have to put something in your init configuration to set the volume. But
you said "settings/volumes." What kind of settings do you mean?

Another possibility is an APM issue. This is a known problem with some
APM bioses, especially older ones. It can't really be fixed, but there
are workarounds for at least some machines. I don't think this happens
with ACPI (found on newer laptops instead of APM).

> Is this a caveat of laptops, or is there some way I can get it to
> remember the sound settings?  It seems to remember sound settings on my
> desktop.

In general, if you use the same distro with the same kernel on different
machines, sound should behave more or less the same. There are a number
of conceivable reasons it might not, but I can only speculate.

I'd suggest a visit to http://www.linux-laptop.net/. With any luck,
you'll be pointed to someone's page about running Linux on the same
model computer you have, which may have specific tips on sound
configuration.

Hope this helps.

--
Matt Gushee