[clue-tech] Sound on compaq armada

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Tue Sep 27 12:31:44 MDT 2005

Matt Gushee wrote:

> Angelo Bertolli wrote:
>
>> The sound works fine on my compaq armada laptop under Debian, however
>> on reboot the system does not remember the old sound settings/volumes.
>

> There are a couple of possibilities. First of all, if you use ALSA, by
> default it sets the volume to zero whenever you reboot. So you would
> have to put something in your init configuration to set the volume.
> But you said "settings/volumes." What kind of settings do you mean?

You know I'll have to double check on ALSA.  I'm sure I'm using ALSA on
my desktop because it's the only thing that knows how to handle the
sound card.  I'm not sure what zero is, but on the laptop the sound is
always set to the exact middle in the gnome volume control dialog.
That's what I use to increase the volume:  the gnome volume control.
Honestly I think the job of keeping settings like this is the
responsibility of gnome.  Shouldn't personalized settings in general
just be "set" on login by gnome?

> Another possibility is an APM issue. This is a known problem with some
> APM bioses, especially older ones. It can't really be fixed, but there
> are workarounds for at least some machines. I don't think this happens
> with ACPI (found on newer laptops instead of APM).

I'm not sure how old this laptop is, but it's 500 MHz.  I get this
stupid Compaq splash screen when it boots.  How can I see the bios?