[clue-tech] Sound on compaq armada

Dan Harris dan at drivefaster.net
Tue Sep 27 14:34:39 MDT 2005

On Sep 27, 2005, at 12:31 PM, Angelo Bertolli wrote:

> You know I'll have to double check on ALSA.  I'm sure I'm using
> ALSA on my desktop because it's the only thing that knows how to
> handle the sound card.  I'm not sure what zero is, but on the
> laptop the sound is always set to the exact middle in the gnome
> volume control dialog.  That's what I use to increase the volume:
> the gnome volume control.  Honestly I think the job of keeping
> settings like this is the responsibility of gnome.  Shouldn't
> personalized settings in general just be "set" on login by gnome?

This could be handled in a variety of ways, but the "proper place"
for it is in the ALSA init scripts.  I am currently facing this same
problem on my new MythTV box.  I found some alsa commands on the
mythtv docs that I incorporated into a simple shell script.  I plan
to put that in the init scripts at some point, but it seems to me
that once you type "alsactl store", it should know to reset those at
boot when /etc/init.d/alsa is called.

-Dan