[clue-tech] Sound on compaq armada

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Tue Sep 27 15:15:44 MDT 2005

Dan Harris wrote:

> On Sep 27, 2005, at 12:31 PM, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
>

>> You know I'll have to double check on ALSA.  I'm sure I'm using  ALSA
>> on my desktop because it's the only thing that knows how to  handle
>> the sound card.  I'm not sure what zero is, but on the  laptop the
>> sound is always set to the exact middle in the gnome  volume control
>> dialog.  That's what I use to increase the volume:   the gnome volume
>> control.  Honestly I think the job of keeping  settings like this is
>> the responsibility of gnome.  Shouldn't  personalized settings in
>> general just be "set" on login by gnome?
>>

> This could be handled in a variety of ways, but the "proper place"
> for it is in the ALSA init scripts.

I know there's only one sound system on the machine, so it wouldn't be
good if it changed on each login when there are multiple users.
However, it also would be nice if each user who logs into a machine by
sitting in front of it, gets to decide what volume levels they like.  I
sort of think gnome should have some support for setting the volume on
login given that the login is done locally.

>   I am currently facing this same  problem on my new MythTV box.  I
> found some alsa commands on the  mythtv docs that I incorporated into
> a simple shell script.  I plan  to put that in the init scripts at
> some point, but it seems to me  that once you type "alsactl store", it
> should know to reset those at  boot when /etc/init.d/alsa is called.

Thanks, I"ll try this.