[clue-tech] So-called "smart" hosts.

Jeff Schroeder jeff at zingstudios.net
Tue Aug 1 17:10:42 MDT 2006

David wrote:

> Yeah, when I set up Comcast for a business I asked them what the
> price for a static IP was, so I could run a server.  They said, "we
> don't do static IPs so I guess you can run whatever you want."

It's true-- I needed a static IP (not a "hope my DHCP address doesn't
change") so I had to sign up for a business account.  Of course it
costs about double the residential account-- although there is a nice
boost in speed.  And they did say I could run any services I wanted,
although to be honest I don't think the salesperson really understood
what I meant when I said "can I run a web server?" because her response
was something like, "of course-- we provide up to 5MB of web hosting
space!".  Further probing ("can I run SSH?") ended up with her
shuffling through some documentation and finally saying that Comcast
doesn't block any ports on a business line.

I found that the residential account changed my IP quite regularly--
perhaps once a week-- because the modem would drop and re-acquire an
address.  That was a blast when I was in the middle of doing some
upload/download work, and my internet connection suddenly died.
Despite the increased cost, the static IP has been worth it.

$0.02,
Jeff