[clue-tech] What do you do with files in lost+found

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Aug 1 18:05:55 MDT 2006

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 05:48:14 -0400
Angelo Bertolli wrote:

> but other ones are apparently binary
> files.  How do I figure out where they belong or what they're old names
> were?

You could try running the strings command on the binaries. Nearly every
program I've seen on a Linux box (except for trivial scripts) will print
out it's name and version in response to being run from the CLI with the
"-v" switch. Also, many have a little mini-help which comes up with "-h".
Those strings are probably stored in the binary someplace, and strings
will find those and print them out.

--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/