[clue-tech] So-called "smart" hosts.

William wlist-clue at kimballstuff.com
Wed Aug 2 12:48:51 MDT 2006

Nate Duehr wrote:
>> My total monthly Internet costs come to:
>> + Qwest "Choice DSL Deluxe":  $28.00
>> + FRII "Residential DSL Plus":  $24.95
>> + FRII 8 IPA Subnet:  $9.95
>> Total Monthly Internet Cost:  $62.90
>>
>> My service level amounts to:
>> + 1.5Mbps u/d (I'd get more, but my location limits me to ~1.5)
>> + Unlimited bandwidth rate and consumption.
>> + The aforementioned 8 IPA subnet with RDNS management.
> I've posted numerous times about my setup, but it's virtually
> identical to yours, and I always make sure to say great things about
> FRII in this recurring thread.
>
> I've had FRII service on and off all the way back to the ISDN BRI
> days... before DSL (or cable) was available to anyone...
>
> FRII.  Local company, local techs, smart people, excellent customer
> service.  http://www.frii.net
>
> Screw the big guys... they're going for "quantity not quality".
>
> Nate
(This is SO going to sound like a commercial, but hey... it's the truth!)

I couldn't agree more!  It's too bad that newcomers to DSL tend not to
know that they can get cheaper, better ISP service from companies OTHER
than their line provider (i.e.: Qwest).  I've been with FRII since 2001
and I couldn't be more happy with their service.  As service offering
have changed in my area over the years, FRII representatives have
contacted me directly to tell me when less expensive, yet better
services become available to me.  Who calls their own customers just to
tell them they can pay LESS and get MORE service?  People who actually
care about their customers and show it; people like FRII.

A user posting at dslreports.com on the FRII page blasts FRII for
supposed billing problems.  In that post however, it is obvious that
this clown brought the problems on himself by moving and deciding to
stop using FRII without telling FRII.  His story paints a picture where
he tried to cancel his service by reversing service charges on his
credit card and hoping that FRII would get the message.  When FRII
didn't, and instead tried to continue billing (and rightfully so), he
blasted FRII on at least one public forum.  Don't let idiots like this
guy bluff you into avoiding a great company.

:)