[clue-tech] So-called "smart" hosts.

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Aug 2 12:27:03 MDT 2006

William wrote:
> Collins Richey wrote:
>> On 8/1/06, William <wlist-clue at kimballstuff.com> wrote:
>>> Well, as long as we're offering alternative pricing options, take a look
>>> at Front Range Internet, Inc. (www.frii.net).  Qwest provides the DSL
>>> line, but use FRII as your ISP for better prices.  For example, I pay
>>> $9.95 per month for an 8 IPA subnet (as opposed to just 1 IPA for $5).
>>> With my total service package, I have no bandwidth rate or consumption
>>> restrictions, whatsoever (other than the physical limits of the hardware
>>> involved).
>> So what's the total cost including DSL?
>>
>> Not that it will do me any good. Qwest will never provide DSL in my
>> neighborhood. The much maligned ATT -> Comcast has been providing good
>> (if pricey) service in my neighborhood for lo these many years. I
>> still encounter the occasional straight-laced type who declines my
>> mail because it comes from a Comcast ip range, but I don't need to
>> talk to them anyway.
> My total monthly Internet costs come to:
> + Qwest "Choice DSL Deluxe":  $28.00
> + FRII "Residential DSL Plus":  $24.95
> + FRII 8 IPA Subnet:  $9.95
> Total Monthly Internet Cost:  $62.90
>
> My service level amounts to:
> + 1.5Mbps u/d (I'd get more, but my location limits me to ~1.5)
> + Unlimited bandwidth rate and consumption.
> + The aforementioned 8 IPA subnet with RDNS management.

I've posted numerous times about my setup, but it's virtually identical
to yours, and I always make sure to say great things about FRII in this
recurring thread.

I've had FRII service on and off all the way back to the ISDN BRI
days... before DSL (or cable) was available to anyone...

FRII.  Local company, local techs, smart people, excellent customer
service.  http://www.frii.net

Screw the big guys... they're going for "quantity not quality".

Nate