[clue-tech] So-called "smart" hosts.

William wlist-clue at kimballstuff.com
Wed Aug 2 08:29:37 MDT 2006

Collins Richey wrote:
> On 8/1/06, William <wlist-clue at kimballstuff.com> wrote:
>> Well, as long as we're offering alternative pricing options, take a look
>> at Front Range Internet, Inc. (www.frii.net).  Qwest provides the DSL
>> line, but use FRII as your ISP for better prices.  For example, I pay
>> $9.95 per month for an 8 IPA subnet (as opposed to just 1 IPA for $5).
>> With my total service package, I have no bandwidth rate or consumption
>> restrictions, whatsoever (other than the physical limits of the hardware
>> involved).
> So what's the total cost including DSL?
>
> Not that it will do me any good. Qwest will never provide DSL in my
> neighborhood. The much maligned ATT -> Comcast has been providing good
> (if pricey) service in my neighborhood for lo these many years. I
> still encounter the occasional straight-laced type who declines my
> mail because it comes from a Comcast ip range, but I don't need to
> talk to them anyway.
My total monthly Internet costs come to:
+ Qwest "Choice DSL Deluxe":  $28.00
+ FRII "Residential DSL Plus":  $24.95
+ FRII 8 IPA Subnet:  $9.95
Total Monthly Internet Cost:  $62.90

My service level amounts to:
+ 1.5Mbps u/d (I'd get more, but my location limits me to ~1.5)
+ Unlimited bandwidth rate and consumption.
+ The aforementioned 8 IPA subnet with RDNS management.