[clue-tech] So-called "smart" hosts.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Aug 2 22:33:50 MDT 2006

William wrote:

>>> My total monthly Internet costs come to:
>>> + Qwest "Choice DSL Deluxe":  $28.00
>>> + FRII "Residential DSL Plus":  $24.95
>>> + FRII 8 IPA Subnet:  $9.95
>>> Total Monthly Internet Cost:  $62.90
[...]
> I couldn't agree more!  It's too bad that newcomers to DSL tend not to
> know that they can get cheaper, better ISP service from companies OTHER
> than their line provider (i.e.: Qwest).

FRII is certainly better than QWest, but not necessarily cheaper:

DSL:   28
ISP:   10
8 IPs: 15
Total: 53

That's the same bandwidth, no transfer limit, and RDNS as FRII.  The ISP
is QWest basic, which they may not offer anymore.  I don't need 8 IPs so
I only pay $43 total.

You don't get anything like the customer service from QWest, but it's
been good enough.  I even have some good stories about their support,
not just that I don't have to call them.

I'm glad FRII is in business and that people recommend them.  But I wish
I didn't have to pay them $25/mo to make the bits go where I want, which
is all I really need from them.