[clue-tech] gentoo, AMD64, gnumeric and excel

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Thu Aug 10 14:07:45 MDT 2006

Dave Price wrote:
> On 8/10/06, Ken MacFerrin <lists at macferrin.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'd try updating to the "testing" version:
>> # echo "app-office/gnumeric ~amd64" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
>> # emerge -a gnumeric
>>
>> -Ken
>
> Ken ...
>
> Tried it, now I get:
>
> HTPC ~ # emerge -a gnumeric
> --- Invalid atom in /etc/portage/package.keywords: x11-libs/goffice-0.2.1
>
> These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
>
> Calculating dependencies -
> !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy ">=x11-libs/goffice-0.2.1" have been
> masked.
> !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
> request:
> - x11-libs/goffice-0.2.1 (masked by: ~x86 keyword)
>
> For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man page or
> refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
> !!!    (dependency required by "app-office/gnumeric-1.6.3" [ebuild])
>
> ... man emerge looks a bit scary in this regard - any recommendations?

Nothing to be alarmed about here.. It's just telling you that this new
version of gnumeric has a required dependency called goffice that's also
"masked" for testing.  Use this command to "unmask" the goffice package:
# echo "x11-libs/goffice ~amd64" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords

and then try this again to install:
# emerge -a gnumeric

The portage system will install the version of a package that's marked
"stable" by default but you can selectively upgrade to the latest
"testing" version of a package by unmasking it in your
/etc/portage/package.keywords file.  This is a similar concept to the
Debian testing/unstable repositories and is helpful if you want the very
latest release of a package or for packages you'd like to install but
don't have a "stable" candidate yet.  emerge is a pretty robust tool
with plenty of options to help maintain your system.  I'd recommend
reading up on it (also check out the gentoolkit programs):
http://linuxreviews.org/gentoo/emerge/
http://gentoo-wiki.com/Masked
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=1
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoolkit.xml

One thing that does look a little strange from your output is the
"(masked by: ~x86 keyword)" part.  If you're running an AMD64 system it
should have been compiled with the "amd64" flag.  Please post the
contents of your /etc/make.conf file.
-Ken