[clue-tech] cannot run konsole or xterm in KDE 3.5

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Mon Aug 28 14:14:43 MDT 2006

Dave Price wrote:
> On 8/28/06, Ken MacFerrin <lists at macferrin.com> wrote:
>> If you're going to be using X on this machine regularly I would suggest
>> using a login manager like kdm to start X for you.
>>
>> In /etc/rc.conf set:
>> DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm"
>> XSESSION="kde-3.5.3" (or whatever your KDE version is)
>>
>> Then:
>> # rc-update add xdm default
>>
>> This will bring up the login manager automatically each time you boot.
>>
>> Then, if for some reason you need to bypass the login manager and access
>> the console directly you can still do so with "Ctrl + Alt + F1", and
>> then switch back to your Xsession display with "Ctrl + Alt + F7"
>>
>> -Ken
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, but I cannot build kdm on this box - at
> least I don't know enough gentoo yet to do it....
>
> #emerge -p kdm
> Calculating dependencies ... done!
> [blocks B     ] =kde-base/kdebase-3.5* (is blocking
> kde-base/khotkeys-3.5.1)
> [blocks B     ] =kde-base/kdebase-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/libkonq-3.5.2)
[...]

I looks like you installed the "monolithic" KDE ebuilds, in which case
kdm should already be installed as part of the kde-base package.

Try:
# which kdm
If you get "/usr/kde/3.5/bin/kdm" as an output then you're good to go..

Using:
# /etc/init.d/xdm start
..will start whichever login manager is listed as the DISPLAYMANAGER in
your /etc/rc.conf.

For more info on the monolithic vs split KDE builds check out:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kde-split-ebuilds.xml

-Ken