[clue-tech] Playing this type of flash on Linux

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Tue Aug 29 13:04:10 MDT 2006

Dave Price wrote:
> On 8/26/06, Ski Dawg <skidawg at skidawg.org> wrote:
>> At this time, I believe it is impossible to play this file on Linux.
>> Adobe (formerly Macromedia) has only released Flash player up to version
>> 7 for Linux.
>
> How about any kind of flash for amd64?
>
> If I am running an amd64, is there _any_ way to view flash?

If you're using Gentoo and AMD64 you either need to:
1) setup a 32 bit chroot environment to compile 32 bit apps... OR
2) replace your 64 bit compiled version of firefox with the precompiled
32-bit binary version:
# emerge -a --unmerge mozilla-firefox
# emerge -a mozilla-firefox-bin netscape-flash

Option 2 is certainly simpler..  The same applies if you want the
win32codecs for mplayer and also for openoffice:
# emerge -a mplayer-bin win32codecs mplayerplug-in openoffice-bin

If installing some of these gives you errors about masked dependencies
then just "unmask" the package by adding it to your
/etc/portage/package.keywords file followed by "~amd64":

media-video/mplayer-bin ~amd64
media-libs/win32codecs ~amd64
app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-medialibs ~amd64

-Ken