[clue-tech] what does "duplicate address" mean?

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Mon Dec 4 20:42:10 MST 2006

Dan Harris wrote:
> Angelo Bertolli wrote:
>> I've started having problems on one of my machines.  Any time I start a
>> file transfer remotely, the machine freezes up completely.  I've noticed
>> that in dmesg, there is
>>
>> wlan0:  duplicate address detected!
>>
>> whenever I bring up the wlan0 interface.
>>
>> Anyone have an idea what might be causing this?
>>

> Some other machine is using your IP address.  It looks like this is a
> wireless network.  Make sure you don't have someone outside your house
> stealing masquerading as you and stealing your bandwidth.
I couldn't find another IP address on the network that was the same.
But I think I was going down the wrong road with that one.  I just did
an updated on my laptop's ubuntu and magically it's freezing when I try
to use scp also.  Only difference is, the laptop doesn't say that a
duplicate address is detected.  So I guess I have to ask, is anyone else
having a similar problem with ubuntu?

Angelo