[clue-tech] VMServer 1.0 Host/Guest Internet problems

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Dec 19 16:12:40 MST 2006

Eric Beale wrote:
> Ok fellas...
>
> Re-ran vmware-config.pl...vmnet8 is a NAT network with private subnet of
> 192.1xx.xx.x/255.255.255.0.
>
> Tells me to edit a /etc/dhcpd.conf adding subnet and netmask listed
> above. When I open that file, dhcpd.conf, it contains numerous
> references to the IP's. Any clue which I'm supposed to edit?

VMWare should handle DHCP invisibly, IIRC.

> When I launch the XP vm, still no hardware detected, with the vm setting
> "Ethernet1" set to Bridged, NAT, Custom (/dev/vmnet8). Nothing is
> working. Where else have I gone wrong? What else do I need to look at?

This is your fundamental problem.  Until you get XP to recognize a NIC
you won't get anywhere.  Usually this just works, or does once you
install the tools in the guest.  If it isn't working for you you'll have
to look at VMWare support.  Or buy some beer for David's friend.