SOLVED: [clue-tech] I/O Error when attempting to remove an empty (corrupt?)

William wlist-clue at kimballstuff.com
Thu Feb 9 15:52:24 MST 2006

I fixed it!  The clue I needed was in this report at Jim's recommendation:

> [root at kenshin ~]# /bin/mount
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 on / type ext3 (rw)
> none on /proc type proc (rw)
> none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
> none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
> usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
> /dev/sda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
> none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
> none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
> sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
> //nt4svr/DNSZones on /mnt/nt4svr/dnszones type smbfs (0)
> //nt4svr/DNSZones on /mnt/nt4svr/dnszones type smbfs (0)

It seems that smbumount was unable to release these directories
properly, but umount could.  Once released, I was able to delete the
directories with no further hassle.  No reboot was necessary, and I
doubt any drive/filesystem corruption.  I'm putting the blame squarely
on smb (seems buggy).  :)

Lesson learned.  Thanks!