[clue-tech] hdd interface question

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Thu Feb 2 10:20:53 MST 2006

Jeffery Cann wrote:

>On 2/2/06, Russell Glissmann <rglissma at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Obviously I have no idea as to what your plans are, but
>>don't use both drives together, you're wasting the benefits of a new drive.
>>

>Does that hold true if both are rated at 7200 rpm?  I was planning on
>using the large drive for my media collection, basically a media drive
>for mp3, mpeg, images, etc.

That sounds ok.  Where you get a performance hit (and what I think
Russell was implying) is when you transfer between the drives.  If you
think there's going to be a lot of data transfer between these two
drives, you should put them on separate cables.  If, instead, you think
this drive is going to making transfers with your optical drives more,
then make sure it's on a separate cable from your optical drive.

Personally, I tend to put my OS hard drive on one  cable, and both my
burner and extra hard drive on the other cable.  But that's mostly
because my other hard drive doesn't usually have things I need to burn.

Angelo