[clue-tech] Re: hdd interface question (follow-up)

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 10:02:08 MST 2006

On 2/4/06, Jeff Cann <jccann at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 February 2006 9:31 pm, Jeff Cann wrote:
> > My question is whether the difference between the the ATA/100 vs ATA/133
> > matters - in other words if I buy the 120 GB drive can I just plug it in
> > and expect it to work?
>
> Thanks for everyone's replies.  It's been a few years for me since I built a
> box, but at that time there was some inconsistencies in cable-select options
> for drives.  So, one follow-up question:  what is the current thinking on
> jumpering for master/slave vs cable-select?

Others may know more exact details, but my experience has been: it
depends on the motherboard/controllers/ and maybe even BIOS? I have
found no rhyme or reason for this.

If cable select works on your box, fine, otherwise use the
master/slave jumper settings. We get mixed results even on all Dell
hardware at work.

--
Collins Richey
      Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code ... If you write