[clue-tech] up2date question

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 10:25:36 MST 2006

On 2/12/06, Jeff Cann <jccann at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a simple way to only install security patches using fedora up2date?

After a little research, I would say the answer is no. I use yum
rather than up2date, but the situation is similar. Read the following
threads for some info

https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/yum/2004-April/004271.html

> For example, on FC4, there are a lot of updates:
>  + http://fedoranews.org/mediawiki/index.php/Fedora_Core_4_Updates
> and a much smaller number are of type 'Security'.
>
> I would like to update those marked 'Security' only w/o updating the entire
> system.
>
> Interestingly, when I click on 'View Advisory' in up2date for a package known
> to have a security issue, up2date says : No Advisory.

No clue about this

> What are other people doing to get security updates automatically - at least
> not by manually marking which packages to update?

I don't have a lot of experience with FC4, but my first question is:
why do you want to do this?

FC4 is an experimental distro that offers new functionality and
security fixes, and (according to what I have read) you can't always
separate the two. RPM doesn't have any such indicator. Some seem to
think that applying security fixes only might lead to breakage? ie
security fixes take into consideration new functionality that you have
chosen not to apply. In theory, this should be handled by the
dependancy chain, but maybe not.

I, too, will be interested in what others have to say.

--
Collins Richey
      The agnostic dyslexic insomniac lies awake wondering if there is a dog.