[clue-tech] Multiple system backups

William wlist-clue at kimballstuff.com
Tue Feb 14 12:21:04 MST 2006

Correction:

> The behavior of, "/some/dir/../other/dir" is exactly what you'd expect
> it to be.  The end result goes to "/some/other/dir/".

The result depends on whether the directory sequence already exists
because the ".." directory will exist in any case except at /.  If
/some/dir/ and /some/other/dir/ exist beforehand, then nothing gets
created and the result goes to "/some/other/dir/".  However, if the
directories do not exist in advance, then two paths are created on the
file system:  "/some/dir/" and "/some/other/dir/".  This may or may not
be desirable, so I won't second-guess the user by arbitrarily ignoring
the "/some/dir/" directive.  Standards say I should treat this as a case
such like a user executing "rm -rf /".  As I'm sure you know, such a
command is executed without complaint (per literature).

In any event, the final desired path exists, even if unnecessary work is
executed to get there -- which is a consequence to the user and not the
code.