[clue-tech] Son's PC and intro to programming

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Thu Feb 16 10:04:25 MST 2006

On 02-15 20:28, Timothy Klein wrote:

> (Although I must say the thought of Perl as a first programming
> language makes me shudder -- I love Perl, but in many ways it's a
> baroque monstrosity).

That was my reaction as well. Perl minus regex isn't so bad, I guess. But
most of the stuff you'll want to do pretty quickly seem to involve regex.

Perl was something like my 7th language (depends on what you count as a
"language") and the regex stuff still takes a few stabs to get right. Maybe
I'm just slow. :) Perl rocks for certain domains, though. I mostly do Java
these days, but reached for Perl when I needed to have something that merged
two files together that had a common column between them - regex's galore in
there.

I'd recommend the Cookbook, too.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
http://sean-leblanc.blogspot.com/