[clue-tech] Son's PC and intro to programming

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 10:31:07 MST 2006

On 2/16/06, Tommy Phillips <tommy_pelican at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Two things I don't like much about Python, and I can live with them:
>
> Python's parallel processing model needs work.

I don't know enough to comment on this.

> The indentation syntax acts as a distraction, especially to programmers
> experienced with other languages.in practice, it's no problem (you
> indent blocks anyway, why fuss because the language requires it?).  In
> fact, this one feature kept me from paying attention to Python for
> longer than I would like to admit.

If you are wroking on something by yourself, I can see how this is a
slight drawback - you have your style and want to stick with it.

If you are working in a team of folks and share code and have to
support each other's work, the Python indenting makes it far easier to
do that job.  As people have said about perl, sometimes you don't even
recognize what your own code was trying to do, much less someoone
else's.  Python's philosophy of "make one way to do things and make it
styley" at least partially fixes the readability problem.

Greg