[clue-tech] Son's PC and intro to programming

Matt Gushee matt at gushee.net
Thu Feb 16 11:13:47 MST 2006

Greg Knaddison wrote:

>> The indentation syntax acts as a distraction, especially to programmers
>> experienced with other languages.in practice, it's no problem (you
>> indent blocks anyway, why fuss because the language requires it?).  In
>> fact, this one feature kept me from paying attention to Python for
>> longer than I would like to admit.
>>

> If you are wroking on something by yourself, I can see how this is a
> slight drawback - you have your style and want to stick with it.
>
> If you are working in a team of folks and share code and have to
> support each other's work, the Python indenting makes it far easier to
> do that job.

Agreed. And if I'm not mistaken, tab characters are no longer allowed
for indenting Python, so the only point of disagreement is how many
spaces to use.

As far as being a distraction, if you use an editor that does "smart
indentation" and has a good Python syntax definition (this certainly
includes Emacs and Vim, at least), it usually does the right thing
automatically.

--
Matt Gushee
The Reluctant Geek: http://matt.gushee.net/rg/