[clue-tech] Son's PC and intro to programming

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Thu Feb 16 12:40:19 MST 2006

Greg Knaddison wrote:

>If you are working in a team of folks and share code and have to
>support each other's work, the Python indenting makes it far easier to
>do that job.  As people have said about perl, sometimes you don't even
>recognize what your own code was trying to do, much less someoone
>else's.  Python's philosophy of "make one way to do things and make it
>styley" at least partially fixes the readability problem.

I don't like assuming block level based on position.  Anyway, it's not
needed since even the simplest code editor can reformat the code to your
specifications.  If you want to enforce a particular style of
indentation, that's ok, but it's not the job of the language itself.
The language could have ways of enforcing this due to some configuration
directives, but it should not be enforced by default.  The language as a
language, and it's parse tree, should be unencumbered by such notions.