[clue-tech] Son's PC and intro to programming

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Feb 16 16:52:40 MST 2006

Angelo Bertolli wrote:
[...]
> I don't like assuming block level based on position.  Anyway, it's not
> needed since even the simplest code editor can reformat the code to your
> specifications.  If you want to enforce a particular style of
> indentation, that's ok, but it's not the job of the language itself.
> The language could have ways of enforcing this due to some configuration
> directives, but it should not be enforced by default.  The language as a
> language, and it's parse tree, should be unencumbered by such notions.

I used to think that this would be hard to work with (I'm still not
convinced since I don't do much Python).  But I'm keeping an open mind.

Don't think of it as the language enforcing an indentation style.  Think
of it as the language using indentation to delimit blocks instead of
braces.  I can see that this is more natural to write than having to add
braces to what your indentation already makes clear.  And when you use
braces with unclear indentation it's probably harder to understand the code.

Just a thought.  I agree with others that Perl's TMTOWTDI isn't a
feature, but it has so many useful gadgets and modules that I haven't
gotten around to Python yet.