[clue-tech] Using iPod w/gtkpod

Michael Fierro biffster at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 21:27:16 MST 2006

> Who's using gtkpod on Linux to write songs to their iPods?  I'm using an iPod
> shuffle which gtkpod v.88 supports.  I'm using version 0.99.2.

Normally works without a hitch, but there are a few gotchas.

First and most important, don't touch the iPod as root! gtkpod is
going to try to write to the files, but if they're owned by root, or
if it is mounted with root as owner, you're gonna have problems. It's
best to allow gtkpod to manage permissions.

Second, use the Check Files and Create Directories options from within
gtkpod. gtkpod uses a different file/database structure than iTunes,
so this step is not optional.

If you just can't get things to work, hook the Shuffle up to a
computer that can run iTunes and the iPod updater, then reset the
Shuffle back to factory settings (i.e. format it), then try gtkpod
again. And see my second paragraph before you try to do anything with
the Shuffle in gtkpod.

Michael Fierro                                      biffster at gmail.com
Y! Messenger: miguelito_fierro                           AIM: mfierro1
http://biffster.org                           http://weightjournal.com
---
"As long as the prerequisite for that shining Paradise is
ignorance, bigotry, and hate...I say the Hell with it."
 --Inherit the Wind (kingubu)