[clue-tech] Using iPod w/gtkpod

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Feb 26 11:34:31 MST 2006

Jeff Cann wrote:
[...]
> Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm not able to mount it as myself.

To mount something you need an entry in fstab that allows you to do
that.  The user option is commonly used for that.

You also need the user in question to be able to read and write the
block device you're mounting.

Jim mentioned superblock permissions--that controls the directory
permissions after mounting.  I don't think it applies in this case since
the iPod uses FAT (or some other non-Unix FS).

If you poke around at how to let users read/write floppys or USB thumb
drives (FAT, not ext) you can probably get it to work the same way.

HTH,