[clue-tech] Procmail filtering using the connecting MTA IP address

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sun Feb 26 11:46:20 MST 2006

I've started looking at using procmail at my ISP level for a bit of mail
filtering. What I'm looking to do is ensure that all mail being delivered
via the CLUE server gets through my ISP's spam filtering. This is
problematic, because it hits the filter before being sent forward to where
I can use procmail, but I can get around that. However, doing so will mean
more work for procmail.

Anyways, this will all be a pointless exercise if it turns out that it
will be impossible, or near-impossible, to do my primary filtering. In
looking at the procmailrc and procmailex manpages, it appears that a
recipe to egrep headers for the following would work. This type of header
will always be present for mail being delivered to me from the CLUE server
(not I'm not talking about originating at CLUE, just being delivered via
CLUE, i.e the mailing lists):

	by ma103.mailarmory.com (MailArmory) with ESMTP id CFD6E285D26
	for <thag at frii.com>; Sun, 26 Feb 2006 11:30:39 -0700 (MST)

So, I'm thinking the following:

:0:
* ^Received.*71\.39\.22\.65
/

Would do the trick, delivering to the regular mail spool. Or would the "/"
need to be "." instead? (i.e. $MAILDIR) There are a couple oddments for me
to be aware of at the ISP level, but assuming my basic premise is sound, I
should be able to work around those. Anyone who's curious can read
http://www.frii.com/support/knowledgebase/viewArticle.php?articleID=534
under the Procmail: header. I think it's a Courier IMAP server (I'm
currently using POP3, and Sylpheed does my folder sorting for me, so I
don't really need to use procmail to go to different folders, just pass
things on.)

If anyone has any recommended books or web links for using procmail,
that'd be nice, too. I'm currently looking through stuff linked from
www.procmail.org, but it's a lot to wade through for finding a specific
piece of info.

Thanks,
jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/
Key fingerprint = B027 FEFB 4281 CC72 67D1  4237 F2D0 D356 077A A30E