[clue-tech] Procmail filtering using the connecting MTA IP address

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Sun Feb 26 14:08:12 MST 2006

Jed S. Baer wrote:

>So, I'm thinking the following:
>
>:0:
>* ^Received.*71\.39\.22\.65
>/
>
>Would do the trick, delivering to the regular mail spool. Or would the "/"
>need to be "." instead? (i.e. $MAILDIR) There are a couple oddments for me
>to be aware of at the ISP level, but assuming my basic premise is sound, I
>should be able to work around those. Anyone who's curious can read
>http://www.frii.com/support/knowledgebase/viewArticle.php?articleID=534
>under the Procmail: header. I think it's a Courier IMAP server (I'm
>currently using POP3, and Sylpheed does my folder sorting for me, so I
>don't really need to use procmail to go to different folders, just pass
>things on.)

I'm not familiar with using Courier IMAP, but I don't think it makes a
difference to procmail.  / should mean / on the filesystem.  I would
change it to $DEFAULT or $ORGMAIL

Since I use UW IMAP, I have procmail filter all my Linux lists to a
subdirectoy of my home directory:

:0:
* ^(To|Cc).*(ma-linux@|dclug@|clue-.*@|um-linux@|lists.debian.org)
$HOME/mail/Linux

This seems to work well with Thunderbird, because you can set the
namespace to a subdirectory like mail/.  Then again, I guess Courier
takes care of all that for you.