[clue-tech] Re: kernel drivers (linux kernel: hde: drive_cmd:

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Jan 4 19:54:16 MST 2006

Hex Star wrote:
> mm, well after the installation of linux it turns out that the IDE
> cable connection to the ATA controller was actually half out for some
> reason, it's now completely in...do you think this could be the cause
> of these errors and thus they could be ignored (perhaps some minor
> corruption occured due to that but it can be ignored)? Or do you think
> it'd be worth trying a reinstall since this may mean there's major
> corruption? Thanks for your reply and help! :-)

I think the cable is a likely cause for your errors on both drives.  If
it were my drive I'd do whatever seemed easy to verify the files on it
and then not worry about it.

The only time I've seen these errors is when the drive was failing.  You
can use badblocks to help diagnose that but you'd be best off verifying
the drive with the manufacturer's diagnostics.

Although gmail may make it convenient for you to reply to yourself over
and over you'll get better answers if your posts are convenient for your
readers.  That means complete but concise.