[clue-tech] What is the parport_pc module used for?

Matt Gushee matt at gushee.net
Sat Jan 7 15:08:38 MST 2006

Hi, all--

I am having printing problems (specifically, "parallel port busy"
errors), and I thought I would try to remove all parallel port-related
modules that weren't needed for printing (I only ever use the parallel
port for printing anyway). So I did

  # modprobe -r imm
  (that's for Zip drives, I guess; don't know why it was loaded in the
   first place)

OK. Then

  # modprobe -r parport_pc
  FATAL: Module parport_pc is in use.

According to lsmod, there are no other modules loaded that depend on
parport_pc (and yes, the lp module is loaded, but it appears to depend
only on parport, not on parport_pc). So what would parport_pc be needed for?

Thanks for any insights.

--
Matt Gushee