[clue-tech] What is the parport_pc module used for?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sat Jan 7 16:15:05 MST 2006

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 15:08:38 -0700
Matt Gushee wrote:

>   # modprobe -r parport_pc
>   FATAL: Module parport_pc is in use.
>
> According to lsmod, there are no other modules loaded that depend on
> parport_pc (and yes, the lp module is loaded, but it appears to depend
> only on parport, not on parport_pc). So what would parport_pc be needed
> for?

Printing.

>From /usr/src/linux/Documentation/parport.txt

Parport as modules
==================

If you load the parport code as a module, say

    # insmod parport

to load the generic parport code.  You then must load the
architecture-dependent code with (for example):

    # insmod parport_pc io=0x3bc,0x378,0x278 irq=none,7,auto

to tell the parport code that you want three PC-style ports, one at
0x3bc with no IRQ, one at 0x378 using IRQ 7, and one at 0x278 with an
auto-detected IRQ.  Currently, PC-style (parport_pc), Sun `bpp',
Amiga, Atari, and MFC3 hardware is supported.

PCI parallel I/O card support comes from parport_pc.  Base I/O
addresses should not be specified for supported PCI cards since they
are automatically detected.

So I dunno. Is something else stepping on the std. port address? If it's
an older PC, maybe something else is grabbing IRQ7? You might look at
/proc/pci

jed

--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/
Key fingerprint = B027 FEFB 4281 CC72 67D1  4237 F2D0 D356 077A A30E