[clue-tech] secure mail

Jason S. Friedman jason at powerpull.net
Tue Jan 10 10:49:56 MST 2006

I host a mailserver (Postfix) from home for my own use.  I
set-up Squirrelmail and I connect via https from the
office.  Therefore, it seems that my password is secure,
as well as the content of the messages as they pass from
home to office and from office to home.  If I send mail it
passes securely from my browser to home, and then
insecurely over port 25 to Qwest and beyond.

I'm wanting to use Thunderbird as a mail client instead of
Squirrelmail.  I want my password to be encrypted as it
passes from the office to home.  I don't really care if
the contents of my mail are encrypted.  I set up imaps
(port 993), and configured Thunderbird to connect via
imaps, and that seems to be working.  I can log in and
retrieve my mail.

My question is about sending mail from the office.  Again,
I want my password encrypted and I don't care about the
content of the mail being encrypted.  I'm having a hard
time envisioning what's going on under-the-hood.  I'm not
running an open relay, so my SMTP servers requires the
connecting party to be someone on the local LAN.  SMTP
(port 25) does not require a password, but would my
password be sent over in the clear anyway?  After sending
mail the message gets written to a Sent folder, and a
password would be required for that, I think?