[clue-tech] secure mail

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Jan 10 11:09:52 MST 2006

Jason S. Friedman wrote:
> I host a mailserver (Postfix) from home for my own use.  I
> set-up Squirrelmail and I connect via https from the
> office.  Therefore, it seems that my password is secure,
> as well as the content of the messages as they pass from
> home to office and from office to home.  If I send mail it
> passes securely from my browser to home, and then
> insecurely over port 25 to Qwest and beyond.

Makes sense.

> I'm wanting to use Thunderbird as a mail client instead of
> Squirrelmail.  I want my password to be encrypted as it
> passes from the office to home.  I don't really care if
> the contents of my mail are encrypted.  I set up imaps
> (port 993), and configured Thunderbird to connect via
> imaps, and that seems to be working.  I can log in and
> retrieve my mail.

Good start.

> My question is about sending mail from the office.  Again,
> I want my password encrypted and I don't care about the
> content of the mail being encrypted.  I'm having a hard
> time envisioning what's going on under-the-hood.  I'm not
> running an open relay, so my SMTP servers requires the
> connecting party to be someone on the local LAN.  SMTP
> (port 25) does not require a password, but would my
> password be sent over in the clear anyway?  After sending
> mail the message gets written to a Sent folder, and a
> password would be required for that, I think?

You can set up most MTA's to do TLS or SSL encryption and also require
authentication in order to be able to send mail through them... thus,
you're not running an open relay, but you can still relay/deliver mail
through them from anywhere, as long as your MUA sends username and
password information.  Thunderbird supports this, no problem at all.

Additionally, many networks block port 25 outbound and require you to go
through their outbound servers.  There are a number of ways around this,
including using non-standard ports.  In RFC 2476 -- it lists port 587 is
as a mail "submission" port.  I used this port number and haven't found
any networks that are blocking it outbound yet... so I just use it for
my laptop from "other" networks outside my own.  No problems getting to
that port on my mailserver from any hotels, work network, or cellular
carriers, so far.

I set up both SMTP-Auth and TLS on the server (which is running exim 4),
to protect the traffic leaving whatever network I'm on, at least until
it hits the mail server, as you mention.  Makes it harder for prying
eyes to see what the traffic is... however using the standard port
number will give them a clue if they decided to dig that far into it, or
my machine was somehow causing some kind of trouble.

I've also seen people put their mail server submission port on 443 or
similar so it would be highly unlikely that someone would block it
outbound... as long as there's no HTTPS services on the mail server.  If
  your Squirrelmail/Apache/SSL are running on the same machine as the
mail server, that wouldn't be a good option.  ;-)

Nate