[clue-tech] Unexpected Reboots

Jeff Cann jccann at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 20:12:33 MST 2006

On Wednesday 18 January 2006 5:48 pm, William wrote:
> List,
>
> One of my RHEL/CentOS servers appears to be restarting itself
> unexpectedly.  This machine is an unattended server (there is no
> workstation for someone to sit at) which runs 24/7.  After reviewing the
> logs, I cannot identify any reason for this behavior.

I saw a unexpected system reboot for a server that is in my basement 'data
center'.  I spent hours looking at the logs, installed some rootkit detection
tools, even posted to the this list.

After exhausting any possibilities, I spoke with my wife about a certain plug.
It turned out that [by mistake] my wife unplugged the server . . . and then
plugged it back in when she finished using the outlet.

:)
--
Social justice cannot be attained by violence.
Violence kills what it intends to create.