[clue-tech] Unexpected Reboots

William wlist-clue at kimballstuff.com
Wed Jan 18 20:05:28 MST 2006

Jeff Cann wrote:
> I saw a unexpected system reboot for a server that is in my basement 'data
> center'.  I spent hours looking at the logs, installed some rootkit detection
> tools, even posted to the this list.
>
> After exhausting any possibilities, I spoke with my wife about a certain plug.
> It turned out that [by mistake] my wife unplugged the server . . . and then
> plugged it back in when she finished using the outlet.
>
> :)

That's funny stuff!  Fortunately, that's not possible here.  The servers
are all running off the same APC UPS (a big one).  As no other servers
are exhibiting this behavior, I'm confidant that this problem is
isolated to the one machine.

Good idea, though.  Troubleshooting question #1:  "Is it plugged in?"
In this case, yes and securely.

--
William Kimball, Jr.
http://www.kimballstuff.com/