[clue-tech] normalize

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Sun Jan 22 23:54:54 MST 2006

Hi Jeff,

Jeff Cann wrote:

> This is handy...
>
> "normalize is a tool for adjusting the volume of audio files to a standard
> level. This is useful for things like creating mixed CD's and mp3
> collections, where different recording levels on different albums can cause
> the volume to vary greatly from song to song."
>
> http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~cvaill/normalize/

I've had trouble with normalize (but maybe my version 0.7.6 is old) messing
up the volume for tracks that are different from others.  That is, suppose
you throw a classical track in with some techno.  The techno tracks will
have the normalized volume set by the peaks in the beat.  The classical
track, with no beat, will get cranked up to a much louder volume than
necessary because the peak levels are not set by a drumbeat.

Anyway if all the music that's normalized in mix/batch mode is the same
general type then I guess it works OK, but even then it seems to empha-
size the bass/beat over the rest of the content.  I guess what I wish is
that it had an equalizer that would try to set the volume for the whole
range of frequencies rather than just sliding the overall volume up/down
based on peak levels.

Is the new normalize smarter than this?

Thanks,
Jim

P.S. Also it refers to 80's music as if the software author was making
mixes for his mom.  Phoo.  Guess I'm old.

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
Contact info: please see http://www.ockers.net/