[clue-tech] screen shots

Jeff Cann jccann at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 16:56:04 MST 2006

I'm looking for gimp advice.

I would like to use clear screen shots in printed materials.  The issues that
I haven't figured out are:

1.  How can I take a screen shot at a higher resolution?  For example, if my
screen is 92 DPI and I want to print at 300 DPI, how can I grab a screen
shot?

[Note:  I don't think this is physically possible because going to a higher
resolution means interpolation, which means loss of clarity.  An image may
look OK on a screen at 92 DPI, but looks not so good printed at 300 DPI.

2.  If I take a screen shot and then scale it to a smaller size, how can I
keep it clear?  It seems that when I scale it, the *entire* resulting screen
shot is blurry.  I understand that things like text may blur, but I've seen
other brochures that appear to show screen shots.   The only thought I have
is that perhaps these 'screen shots' were actually created in an image
editing program and drawn to look like a screen shot.  This seems incredibly
stupid to me [since my background is programming], but I can see where a
marketing person [who wants everything to look crisp] would use this
technique.

I would love to hear comments / suggestions.

Thanks,
Jeff

--
Social justice cannot be attained by violence.
Violence kills what it intends to create.