[clue-tech] screen shots

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Jan 24 17:37:24 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 16:56 -0700, Jeff Cann wrote:
> 1.  How can I take a screen shot at a higher resolution?  For example, if my
> screen is 92 DPI and I want to print at 300 DPI, how can I grab a screen
> shot?

You grab at the screen resolution then use Image->Scale to set the
resolution to 300DPI.  Nothing changes in the visible document.  The DPI
settings is used when you import, for example, into OpenOffice.  You
should save these images as uncompressed TIFF files for best results and
for widest support by tools which will do the imports later.

> 2.  If I take a screen shot and then scale it to a smaller size, how can I
> keep it clear?  It seems that when I scale it, the *entire* resulting screen
> shot is blurry.

Use Filters->Enhance->UnSharp Mask after you scale down.  UnSharp Mask
works really well on images with lines, like screen shots of window
frames and buttons and the like.

> I understand that things like text may blur, but I've seen
> other brochures that appear to show screen shots.   The only thought I have
> is that perhaps these 'screen shots' were actually created in an image
> editing program and drawn to look like a screen shot.

No, I just use ordinary screen shots just as I've described here to
produce the screen shots used in magazines and in my books.  Most
editors don't want to reedit the screen shots, so the author usually has
to get them right initially.  A little sharpening for scaled down images
works well.  I tend to mix a number of screen shots together so the
resulting image, usually at about 250DPI (which is what the publishers
request) is a little wider on the printed page.  But my projects are for
magazines and books.  Brochures can very easily have different
requirements.
--
Michael J. Hammel           |
Ximba End User Software     |                Fair is Fair.