[clue-tech] screen shots

Matt Gushee matt at gushee.net
Tue Jan 24 17:58:06 MST 2006

WFT Electronics, Gus Salvatore Calabrese wrote:
> How can you get more true pixel resolution
> than you started with ?  I fail to see how the
> 10 M camera adds anything other than a reduced
> quality copy  ( the name of which escapes me at present )

Hypothesis:

   A screen shot captures the discrete pixels that make up the screen
   image--so, for a 1024x768 display, you get a 1024x768 bitmap, each
   pixel being, of course, a solid color. Whereas the visible image on a
   CRT monitor is significantly smoother, because the pixels appear
   blended with their neighbors.

   If that's true, then probably shooting an LCD monitor with a camera
   wouldn't improve the quality much. Or would it? Does much blending
   take place between the screen surface and the eyes/camera lens?

--
Matt Gushee
The Reluctant Geek: http://matt.gushee.net/rg/