[clue-tech] foreign keys in phpmyadmin

Jack Parker jack.parker4 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 26 18:26:36 MST 2006

Why sir, I am gratified by your post.  I don't feel like such a troll after
all (honey?  that bridge I wanted to buy in brooklyn?  Call it off).

I am indeed an Informix >insert<, having spent many years there.  I have all
sorts of versions that I can load on my linux, 7, 8, 9, Red Brick,
Cloudscape - several of these not available to the general public.  Good
luck navigating the IBM site to find a download.  I would suggest
www.iiug.org, where (if you sign up as a member), you can download a linux
copy of 9x I believe.  If that doesn't work let me know and I'll ping
someone.

On a slightly different note, and in the 2 minutes I have left, I visited a
fortune 500 today where they are using Seibel on SQLServer.  I had the
opportunity to witness a query run, I would rate the performance as
sluggish, noticable 2second+ lag between [enter] and data.  They are also
afraid to import 11 million extra rows (they are working on <2mill now), as
they feel the database would not handle it.  For a different Fortune500
Client I have been analysing their Seibel data under Informix 9 on a dinky
single cpu dell.  I have had no issues with performance on a similar volume
of data (on a single IDE drive) and would have no problem going into the
hundreds of millions of rows on this setup.

But then as Greg pointed out, the database is a commodity at this point.
With small volumes any of them will do the trick.  For specialized needs you
might choose one over another.  When selecting, choose whatever fits your
needs.  I have to agree whole-heartedly with his post, after this reply, I
have to include the >troll< part.

cheers
j.