[clue-tech] Multiple system backups

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Jan 31 17:21:28 MST 2006

Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> David L. Anselmi wrote:
>
>> Angelo Bertolli wrote:
>>>
>>> My main concern is hard drive failure.
>>
>> Then you want to back up to disk, DVDs are irrelevant.
>
> So, the  chances of both hard drives going is negligable?

Yes, unless you use 2 drives produced in the same lot.  Even then you're
likely to have at least a day between failures in which you back up the
remaining disk.

Yes, unless you're worried about a fire getting both drives.  But you
didn't mention taking the DVDs off-site (or keeping them secure when you
get them there).  Even for that, the one place I do off-sites uses
external hard drives.

Since rdiff is efficient over a network you might look at keeping your
backup disk at a different location.  Generally backups across a WAN
don't scale very well, but they might scale as well as manual copy to
DVD does.