[clue-tech] home network mystery

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 19:34:47 MDT 2006

On 7/9/06, Collins Richey <crichey at gmail.com> wrote:

> FYI, I checked in with my nVidia expert, and he believes theproblem is
> not motherboard related, but rather a bug in the forcedeth driver that
> is fixed by later kernel patches (FC5 for sure). So, I'm building a
> new kernelfor Kubuntu, and we'll see what happens next.

Final report for now; this will take a while to resolve.

If I want the onboard sound to work, I'll need to compile from latest
source. <rant> Having alsa in the kernel source tree is no big
improvement, since they let it age too slowly before incorporating new
functionality. </rant>

If I want the sound blaster card to work I most get a forcedeth (NIC)
module that works, and even the latest stable kernel source is at
least 3 dot versions too old. On top of that, the ens1371 (sound)
module doesn't appear to work on Debian Etch or Ubuntu 6.06. FC5
latest development kernel offers a better forcedeth, but who knows
about ens1371.<another rant> Damn proprietary  code for peripherals,
anyway! </rant>

Reminds me of the Caldera days when all RPMs were dependant on RH or
Mandrake (and most of those would only work on Mandrake Development).

--
Collins Richey