[clue-tech] Solved: CD burning problem.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Jul 15 14:08:46 MDT 2006

This page turned out to be helpful:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/coasterless.htm

That solved a long running issue I've had with burning CDs and not being
able to verify them.

I saw another page from Sun that said -pad wasn't really necessary (and
will change the checksum unless you use the right count with dd).  I
don't know about that, I still get an error reading the last sector.
But it's in the padding now so it doesn't affect the checksum.

I also found a utility called cdck that will test a CD.  It doesn't do
checksums, rather timing of sector reads (and you can plot them with
gnuplot).  Interestingly it counts the pad sectors as part of the CD,
even though the volume descriptor knows the right number.  And as a
result it can't read the final 2 sectors and says "thow the disk away"
even though those are just padding.